Thursday, December 23, 2004

Student in Santa Costume not "politically correct?"

Give me a break. A seventh-grade student was asked by his principle to leave the school's holiday dance because he was dressed like Santa Claus. According to the story, the student was told to leave because his attire was politically incorrect, and the principle was trying to adhere to the rules of separation of church and state. He also stated that he had to be sensitive to all of the students' religious beliefs. This really irritates me. Since when does Santa Claus symboilze the religious aspect of Christmas?
I support the separation of church and state in the sense that I don't believe students should be made to conform to one religion or the other. I don't think it's right to force Christianity or any other religion upon any individual. I am not a religious person, but I do celebrate Christmas. I try hard to keep in my mind the true reason for the celebration, but I have to admit that I love Christmas because it is the time of year that means family to me. In the situation of the school party, I think that the school principle took it too far when he prohibited the boy's attendance to the party. I would be furious if I were the child's mother.

No comments: